Thursday, February 5, 2009

Mom's Chicken Enchiladas

We love these! This is my mom's recipe, with a few minor changes. All of us kids LOVE them. When we're all home, she has to make like four 9x13 pans of them! They disappear quickly, such was the case last night. I put chicken in the crockpot for Corin's salsa chicken, but just didn't have a taste for it last night. I've been craving Mexican, like every night lately (I think it's because all the good restaurants have closed down :() Anyway, I decided last minute to whip these up before Sonlight.

Mom's Chicken Enchiladas

2Tbsp Butter
2Tbsp Flour
Salt, pepper, red pepper, and paprika to taste
2/3 cup milk
2 TBSP Salsa
1/2 cup shredded cheddar
1 cup cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
4 flour tortillas
Additional salsa and cheese

I always double this recipe for Trenton & I.

Melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat. Add flour to make a thick paste. Stir in salt, pepper, red pepper, and paprika to taste. I add alot of paprika and usually use chili powder instead of red pepper. That's because I'm a sissy and can't take a lot of red pepper. If Trenton were to make these, he'd throw in some green chiles at this point. Stir in milk. Stir until sauce thickens. I'm the world's worst gravy maker, probably because I'm so impatient, so I never do this part right. I just keep adding milk and flour until I have a pan full of thick sauce. Stir in salsa. I add more than 2 TBSP, because I like the flavor the salsa gives it! I probably use about a 1/4 of a cup. Stir in the 1/2 cup shredded cheddar. Stir until it all melts together. Add cooked chicken. If you plan ahead, or like me change your mind about what your chicken is going to be for supper, then you could put the chicken in the crockpot during the day and just make your husband shred it for you while you're cooking the sauce! I put three chicken breasts, a pack of taco seasoning, and about 1 cup of salsa in the crockpot on low all day. It was perfect. This was enough for a double batch of enchiladas with a little left over. Stir the chicken into the sauce. Spoon down the center of each enchilada, roll up and place seam side down in a baking pan. Once all the enchiladas are in the pan, cover it with Saran Wrap, and put it in the microwave for 3-4 minutes. Remove wrap and spread top of enchiladas with additional salsa. Microwave for one minute. Then sprinkle with additional cheese. Microwave until cheese melts. Enjoy!

I add sour cream and extra salsa to mine. Trenton thought black olives would be a good topper. The point of this is, it's quick and easy and goes in the microwave. All in all, if your chicken is cooked, it's about 20-25 from start to table. Once you've made it once, you'll realize just how simple it is. If there are leftovers, they're even better reheated!



No comments: