Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I'm back...

So thanks to my super smart co-worker and friend, Jenn, I am back to blogging and can now add pictures! I'll try to wait until 1000 Word Thursday to share my favorite pics.

Our girls' day on Saturday was interesting to say the least. Mom and Kate met me in Lancaster at about 7 am. We picked up Lucy in Bloomfield and headed off to get Holly in Eddyville. We hit a few garage sales on our way to Eddyville and got some good deals. Played with Miss Myra for a few minutes and then we were off to Pella. It was freezing when we first got to Pella, but we grabbed some coffee and soon enough if was warm and beautiful outside. We decided at about 2:00 we should start making our way to the car and head on up to Boone. We were supposed to be there by 5:00 to board the train and depart at 5:30. We needed to change clothes so we stopped at a rest area outside of Des Moines. Kate & I ran into the bathroom to change clothes, while the others stretched and waited. Got back in my Trailblazer to leave AND........NOTHING! My car was dead in the water. Lovely, 5 women at a rest stop along the interstate with no vehicle. We tried to figure out what to do. After about 20 minutes a man in a mini-coupe asked if he could help. Unfortunately, his little toy car didn't have enough juice to jump my battery. Holly happened to have some friends in Des Moines for the PBR this weekend. Her friend Meggie and husband, Ricky, went to K-mart, bought a battery for my blazer, and brought it out to us. In all that time, not ONE single person stopped and offered to help. It was kinda sad. I mean one guy parked beside us (in a SUV),saw our hood up, walked over looked under the hood, never said a word, then turned around and clicked the lock on his vehicle....like we were going to STEAL it! Finally, Ricky and Meggie arrived, but we didn't have enough tools to get the old battery out. By this time, I knew we were going to miss the train. I was so disappointed. A man in a Tahoe pulled up on the right, got out, went in to the bathroom. As he was coming back out, he kinda looked our way, then kept walking. He turned around and asked if we had things under control. Mom said "I guess, unless you have a set of sockets in that thing?". He laughed and said, "Actually, I'm a certified master automotive technician. I've got my tools in back, want some help?" THANK YOU LORD!! He had the old batter out and the new one replaced in about 10 minutes. The car started right up and we were on our way! We knew we weren't going to make it, but thought we would at least try. By this time it was 5 o'clock and we were still 40 minutes away. We arrived at the train depot and I jumped out of the car. I was too afraid to shut it off. Got to the doors and they were locked! I was ready to cry. But then the conductor of one of the other trains came out and said, " Are you the Tallman's?" I told him we were and he said," well hurry up and come with me. I 'll take you to meet the train. I just stopped it at the last possible point we can meet up." So all 6 of us piled into his Ford Explorer. They had stopped the entire train for us. When we got on, the entire car of people on the train started clapping for us. It was MAJORLY embarrassing. The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful compared to that, but we did have a fantastic time and saw some gorgeous scenery along the way.





3 comments:

Bree Shaw said...

what a great guy to get the train stopped for you! a great tway to end your crazy day! glad you girls had such a good time.

Andrea Frederick said...

never a dull moment...you guys are too funny! i'm glad you had a fun time anyway!

Finding Joy in the Journey said...

I think it's hilarious that they stopped the train for you! (and called you "the Tallmans"). glad you made it and got to enjoy your day!