Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Introducing Charlotte Jenice

This is a little late, but better late than never. I've not actually found a free moment to sit down and type out Charlotte's birth story. But obviously, this blog is for documenting our lives and her birth is a very HUGE addition to that life! For those of you who have already heard or read the story on FB and either seen pics on there or seen her in real life...please feel free to ignore this month late post!

So we went to the doctor on December 3rd, 2010 and Dr. Tobler told us that we would be coming in on Tuesday the 7th for an induction. He was going out of town and with my history he was afraid of letting me go past my due date on the 11th. We drove home anxious and filled with anticipation of meeting our daughter. I'm pretty sure I didn't sleep at all Monday night. We had to be at the hospital at 6:30 on Tuesday. So we got up, earlier than necessary, bags packed and ready to go. Then I decided that we needed to take a picture of the 2 of us before we became a family of 3. Well, that meant unpacking the camera and trying to figure out the self-time on the camera. Here is the result- Our last picture before we were parents!



When we first got there the nurses were getting ready for shift change. We were able to get settled in and I changed into my lovely gown. My loving husband snapped this picture

Dr. T came in and decided to get the Pitocin started at 9 am. My contractions started to kick in pretty quickly, but they weren't showing up on the monitor. I was really starting to feel them, but unfortunately, nothing was happening as far as dilation. Time ticked away. Mom and Trenton kept me entertained and I tried to rest (yeah right). At 1:30, Dr. T came in to check on me before heading to the Lancaster clinic and decided to go ahead and break my water.

After that, whoa baby, things felt like they were really picking up. For some reason, I was really feeling things, but nothing was changing. The contractions were coming, but I wasn't dilating very fast. The nurse checked me again and I was between a 3-4. I was hurting pretty bad and they thought that might be slowing things down, so I asked for an epidural. After they administered that, they upped the pit hoping to get things moving, which it did. Unfortunately, the epidural didn't take. AT ALL! So they decided to do an inner-thecal (spelling), which was supposed to last 3 hours. It lasted a whole hour. Dr. T checked back in and I was at a 5. I was in so much pain!!! I told Trenton I wanted to quit and that I couldn't take any more. Dr. T decided we could re-administer the epidural if I wanted....which at that point, I gladly wanted. Turns out I have slight case of scoliosis (spelling) that blocked it the first time. It took the anesiaologist awhile to get back to the hospital. At about 9:45 she did the 2nd epidural and it started working immediately. Dr. T had headed home and was going to check back in later since I had only been at a 5 a few hours earlier. When the nurse checked me directly following the administration of the epidural, I was complete. THe nurse called the doctor right back in and we started getting ready to push. It was amazing and I've never felt more powerful in all my life. He ended up cutting me because I was tearing because her head was pretty big. I ended up with 2nd degree tearing, but other than that, it was a picture perfect delivery.

Charlotte Jenice arrived at 11:02 pm on December 7th. She weighed 8lbs 11.8oz and was 22 inches long. She is absolutely perfect and we're head over heels in love!

Enjoy the pictures!




4 comments:

Corin said...

Thank you for sharing your birth story. So sorry that first epidural didn't work.

Erin said...

Lol- I'm only a month+ late. Looking back now, the epidural not working was a minor glitch. I'd do it all again!

Finding Joy in the Journey said...

keeping blogging...you'll love these memories later!!!

Shonya said...

awww, beautiful! Thanks for sharing.